Avoiding frostbite on the one hand and starvation on the other, a well prepared group of explorers when off in search of the ancient mysteries of Bendoc which is a small township just over the Victorian/NSW border from Delegate. The history of the town can be found on this web site:http://bendoc.org.au/history-of-bendoc/

What was it that our intrepid group were searching for? Gold perhaps, ancient history or just a day out in the bush with good company. The trip was organised by Warren Bruce, the Master of the Mountain Lodge and from all reports it was a hugely enjoyable day. Even the sun made an appearance.

The group of all sizes and shapes and ages.

Are they lost? Nah! the big fella in the Hiviz is the local Forester.

Boiling the Billy

The bush.

Neil Dawson, DGIW and Tom Peadon a past DGIW looking for the workings to inspect.

That could be a wool press and a boiler.

The old hut possibly well over 100 years old.


They found it, the secret writings on the sacred gum tree with directions to.........

The Log.........

IN 1981 Ken Hepburn of Lower Bendoc drove his 1976 Mack Log truck on an arduous journey from "The Wombat Track" area of the forest heading for Cuthbertson & Richard's mill at Bendoc. The load he carried, a 60-ton giant log. The log alleged to be the largest log ever cut in that area, measuring 9.2 metres long and 251cm girth. These measurements, according to the 'Victorian ready reckoner' were calculated to be 44.53 cubic meters of milling timber.

This giant Shinning Gum took Steve Goodyer of Bombala an average of four hours to fall, having left a 60cm stump above ground on the high side. It was apparent that the D7F bulldozer was incapable of pulling the log, therefore a loading ramp had to be built along side to enable it to be transferred to the truck.

The D7F bulldozer then had to be used to tow the vehicle, with such tight corners and the enormity of the load exiting the forest proving to be a difficult task.

For the last twenty-two years the butt of this colossal log has been displayed at the Bendoc Mill, and although it was visible from the road it was not an ideal position for viewing by passing tourists.

A member of the Bendoc Park Committee approached the then manager of the mill with the concept of moving the log to the Historic Park in Bendoc. His suggestion was that this site would be a more accessible spot for public viewing of this mighty giant.

A request was made to the owner of the mill, then shortly before the sale of the mill, owner Alan Richards donated the log to the Bendoc Park Committee. With the consent of the East Gippsland Shire Council and under the supervision of the Park Committee arrangements were made to re-locate the log to its new location.

On Sunday, December 14, the day dawned with perfect weather conditions and with the availability of the necessary machinery, which was kindly donated by Jamieson Bros of Bendoc to perform the job.

The log was once again about to undertake another journey. Although reduced to approximately one third of its original length, this procedure was proving to be as complex a task as one could only imagine it had been when it was initially fallen all those years ago.

The log, with the aid of three loaders and a forklift, together with their operators, who handled their machines with amazing skill and precision, was manoeuvred on to the float ready for its journey to Bendoc.

On arrival at the park many of the townspeople came out to witness the spectacular event. Children watched with excitement as the log was jostled into position.

It was a day to remember for the Bendoc community who later celebrated with a barbecue.

Credit should be given to the many volunteers who gave their time to make this event possible.

The log has been frequently photographed by many visitors since taking pride of place among the many historic relics which adorn the Park.

Heading home and thinking about the next trip.